Search The Cookbook

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cowgirl Breakfast Casserole


Westbrook Family Night at the rodeo!
Carly, Slate, me, Greyson, and Andy
Last year, I wrote an entry about my lifetime love for the Fort Worth Stockshow and Rodeo when I shared my recipe for Green Chili Fudge.  Each year, as a member of the Junior League of Fort Worth, I commit 50 hours to a volunteer placement.  The JLFW places our volunteers at numerous locations, including the American Diabetes Association's Camp Aurora, the Amon Carter Museum, Boys & Girls Club of Greater Fort Worth, Cook Children's Medical Center, and many more- click here to read more about our community involvement

Nicole, me, Jenna, Amanda, Kelly, Meredeth, and Anna
in the Rodeo Program Sales Committee Office

From my sponsor to my Co-Chair- and what a great one she's been as both!
Melissa and me

As a provisional, or your first year in the league, your placement is automatically the Junior League's upscale resale shop, the Double Exposure.  Beginning with your second year in the league, your first year as an active, you get to chose what placement you want.  After having so much fun yelling and selling at the rodeo last year, I immediately knew I wanted to be on the Rodeo Program Sales Committee for my placement.

Shanelle and me
As a member of this committee, we organize the girls who "yell and sell" programs at each of the performances, put the day sheets (the papers that tell which cowboy is riding which bull/horse/etc) into the programs, supervise the sellers, and yell and sell when we can.  We are supposed to attend as many performances as possible, including the Saturdays of the rodeo time that have three performances each.  That means that on Saturdays during rodeo time, we are at the grounds from about 8:00am until 9:30pm- and that makes for one long day!
Hook 'em ITB!
Pam and me
Since we are up at the colliseum so much during these three weeks, we have a meal sign up sheet for girls to bring breakfasts, lunches, and dinners to the committee.  I signed up for numerous meals since I like to cook so much, and my first meal was a Saturday breakfast.  I had made a yummy and easy breakfast casserole for my family on Christmas morning, so I thought I'd let the Rodeo Committee girls try it, too.  I wasn't sure how to adjust my recipe for 25 girls, but the final measurements turned out just right- with a little extra, too!  I bought tortillas to put it in and make breakfast tacos, but the recipe didn't originally call for that.  It can be served in bowls, as a regular casserole would, or in tortillas with hot sauce and shredded cheese on top- however you cowgirls like it!
The firemen hosted a shrimp boil for us one day- thank you!

Cowgirl Breakfast Casserole (Crockpot)
Servings: 30; Weight Watchers Points Plus Value: 6

  • 1 doz eggs
  • 1/2 doz egg whites
  • 1 1/2 (32 oz/e) bags frozen hashbrowns
  • 1/2 lb bacon, cooked
  • 1 lb sausage, browned
  • 1/2 c green onions, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 3/4 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/2 c skim milk
Cowgirl Breakfast Casserole ready to cook overnight in the crockpot
  1. Layer potatoes, bacon, sausage, onions, green pepper, and cheese in the crockpot in two or three layers
  2. Add cheese on top
  3. Beat the eggs, milk, and mustard together
  4. Pour egg mixture over the whole crockpot full of ingredients
  5. Cook in crock pot on low for 10-12 hours or until eggs are set.
Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

1 comment: