|Zet and Sara at Sara's going away dinner at Mellow Mushroom, September 2010|
|Zet and me at Willie D's in Little Rock|
The next day, we were very lazy. Well, Zet and I were. Sara and Andy took off for an eight mile run. No, thanks, I'll pass- I voted for big/little bonding time with Zet. This first morning, Sara made Overnight French Toast.
|Andy and me in Little Rock|
|Zet and me representing Delta Gamma at the Ragin' Cajun|
|The girls at Ragin Cajun- Brittney, me, Zet, Sara|
|Go Frogs! Me, Zet, & Sara at Ragin' Cajun|
|Andy and me, dancing fools, at Ragin' Cajun|
The next morning, I woke up to a glorious smell that I knew immediately- Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. My stomach was churning, but whatever was baking in the kitchen smelled amazing. What came out of the oven was what I'm going to call Breakfast Squares. I asked Sara for the recipe and she laughed. "Crescent rolls, cream cheese, and sausage," she said. That's it? Yep. Easy, delicious, and filling. Andy's been begging me to make them since ever since we got back from Arkansas, so this morning I thought I'd give him an early Valentine's present. Sara's Arkansas Breakfast Squares it was!
Like all of my recipes, you can, of course, use regular full-fat/calorie ingredients, but for those of us who are health conscious, the substitutions are great and still full of flavor.
Arkansas Breakfast Squares
Sara Reynolds, modified by Kate Strickland
Weight Watchers Points Plus Value: 7
- 2 rolls Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, Reduced Fat
- 1 lb sausage (I used Reduced Fat Turkey sausage)
- 8 oz cream cheese, fat free
- 11x13 pan
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Set cream cheese out to soften
- Brown sausage on the stovetop
- Preheat your oven to temperature indicated on crescent roll package (mine was 375°)
- Spray pan with cooking spray
- Unroll one crescent roll package and place in a pan. Flatten so the whole role is laying flat in the pan.
- Bake the individual flattened crescent roll sheet in the oven for 4 minutes. (This is because the filling can make the bottom layer soggy).
- Removed pan from oven.
- Mix cream cheese into the browned sausage.
- Layer the cream cheese/browned sausage on top of the flattened crescent roll you just took out of the oven.
- Unroll the 2nd crescent roll sheet and lay on top of the cream cheese/browned sausage.
- Bake again according to instructions on the package (Mine was 11-13 mins at 375°)
Happy Valentine's Day!!
|Arkansas Breakfast Squares|
|Valentine's Breakfast- Arkansas Breakfast Squares|