Search The Cookbook

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tequila Shrimp Skewers

Although I have posted numerous posts about how I did not eat much seafood as a child, shrimp is one of the few creatures of the sea that I did like.  I started snow skiing when I was two and a half years old, and we went almost every year when I was younger.  On one trip to Beaver Creek, Colorado, they would have a "kids dinner" so the adults could get rid of their rugrats for a bit and have a nice meal.  One spring break in elementary school (or "Lower School" at our school), my friend, Kate Thompson, and her family happened to be staying at the same resort as mine.  The one night I remember best, Kate and I got a little mischievous.  We played hide-and-go-seek in the hotel, and we snuck into the parents' dining room where our families were eating.  I couldn't tell you anything else about the whole trip, except that my parents were eating shrimp.  I don't know why or how I remember that, but it is the one detail of the whole vacation that stands out to me.  My parents made a deal with me that they would give me a saucer full of shrimp if we would return to the kids' room where we belonged.  Done and done.

Tequila Lime Shrimp Skewers
My other "young shrimp memory" was at my dad's friend, Darrell Keith,'s daughter, Courtney,'s wedding.  Courtney's wedding was one of the nicest weddings I had ever been to.  It was black tie, and my dad wore his tuxedo- as a nine year old, I was completely taken aback  At the center of the dancing, champagne, and elegantly dressed crowd, was a giant ice sculpture filled with shrimp.  I had seen ice sculptures before, but never to display food!  What a beautiful way to keep something like shrimp chilled!  I was mesmerized (and should have known right then that my fascination with food & food displays was not normal for a nine year old!)

An ice sculpture is a great way to keep cold foods chilled and beautifully displayed
 Shrimp is a very healthy and very easy to cook seafood.  It is easiest to cook them on a grilling plate, soaked wood plank, or skewers, as depicted below.  A little goes a long way with these fellas, and they go great with grilled fruits and veggies.  These Tequila Shrimp Skewers have pineapple and red pepper, but you could easily add green pepper, tomatoes, or squash to the skewers, also.  They are spicy, so we chose to pair it with a Gewurztraminer wine which brought out a lot of the flavor.  I made some Zatarains New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix rice, too, to go with our spicy/Cajun them.

Tequila Shrimp Skewers
Kate Strickland
Servings: 4; Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value: 8



    Tequila Lime Shrimp and Cajun Rice
  • Juice of 6 limes
  • 1/3 c tequila
  • 1/3 c olive oil
  • 1 tbsp salt (to taste)
  • 2 tbsp sea food seasoning (to taste)
  • 1 tsp ground pepper
  • 2 lbs shrimp
  • 1 pkg skewers
  • 1 c pineapple
  • 1 red pepper, sliced into chunks
  1. In a bowl, mix together lime, tequila, olive oil, salt, sea food seasoning, and pepper
  2. Mix in shrimp and marinate for 30-45 mins *don't leave the shrimp in marinate too long, otherwise it will start to cook in the lime juice!
  3. Skewer shrimp and pineapple and pepper, leaving a little space between each one
  4. Heat grill
  5. Place the skewers on grill (on medium/hot)
  6. Grill one side of the shrimp for about 2 min, then flip and grill another 1-2 min *shrimp should be pink on both sides




Tequila Lime Shrimp pairs well with 

Gewürztraminer wine




No comments:

Post a Comment