Search The Cookbook

Monday, January 23, 2012

Lasagna Roll Ups

My dad, Dr. Sam, me, Melynda, and my mom at my UT graduation, May 2008

My mom's friend, Melynda, and her daughter, Susan, and I have all been talking for months about organizing a mother-daughter dinner for the four of us.  My mom met Melynda originally through Melynda's brother, Miller, who has since passed.  Miller and my mom met through their mutual friend, Mike Cochran, whose wife makes the Mississippi Sin Dip.  After not seeing Melynda for a while, she re-met her through their mutual friend, Dr. Sam, at the Cowtown Marathon.  Even smaller of a world, Melynda was in a grief support group after her brother passed.  The leader of the group was my ex-boyfriend's dad, who took grief support training after losing his wife to breast cancer over ten years ago.  Oh, Fort Worth never ceases to amaze me.  I met Melynda with my parents one night, and I knew she was going to be like another aunt to me.  She is so much fun, and always up for something social! 
Melynda, Susan, me, and my mom at Dr. Sam's Suite Night at the Rangers' Game, 2009

Susan, Melynda's daughter, has a precious little boy named Andrew who I've been dying to meet, so Susan suggested we have the first annual mother-daughter dinner at her house.  Being huge fans of Pinterest, Susan suggested that we each bring our favorite recipe or Pinterest dish- something light and new.  Oh, gracious, now not only do I have recipes pinned on my Pinterest boards, but I have my food boards divided into categories- snacks, dinner, drinks, and sweets.  How to choose what to take?!
My dad, Dr. Sam, my mom, and Melynda at Cabana #3

I literally clicked on my "Din Din" (dinner) board, closed my eyes, and pointed.  Lasagna Roll-Ups were the lucky chosen ones.  Easy, light- they would be perfect! Susan made Chunky Avocado Dip, also a Pinterest recipe.  Melynda made Rosemary Biscuits that were full of flavor and delicious.  My mom made a "build-you-own-salad" mini-bar.  My cousin, Kyle,'s girlfriend, Jess, had made this mini-salad-bar on Thanksgiving Day at my Aunt Judy's house, and my mom could not stop raving about it!  In her defense, it was a really great idea- everyone could add the toppings of their choice (great for me who likes tomatoes and my mom who can't stand them) and their own dressing.
Melynda, Dr. Sam, and me at Santa Rita Cantina for my UT graduation party, May 2008

We spent the evening explaining Pinterest to my mom (who is still working on Facebook- trying to decide if she wants "Amy Sue" from 1st grade to be her friend or not), having girl talk, and talking about the different DIY and craft projects that we wish we had unlimited funds to put together.  The Lasagna Roll-Ups were a hit- everyone had just one, and they were filling and simple.

My mom, me, and Melynda at my dad's Welcome Home from Denali party on the 4th of July at Cabana #3

Lasagna Roll Ups
Kate Strickland via Pinterest
Servings: 8; Weight Watchers Points Plus Value: 6


Lasagna Roll-Ups before popping them in the oven

  • 3 c chopped cooked chicken
  • 1/4 c skim milk
  • 1 c ricotta cheese
  • 1/8 tsp white pepper
  • 1/4 c crumbled feta cheese
  • 8 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
  • 1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 c Prego spaghetti sauce
Lasagna Roll-Up
  1. In medium bowl, combine chicken, cheeses, milk, and pepper
  2. Spread some of mixture on each lasagna noodle and roll
  3. In 13x9 baking dish, spread 1 c spaghetti sauce
  4. Arrange lasagna rolls, seam-side down in baking dish
  5. Top with remaining spaghetti sauce
  6. Cover dish with foil
  7. Bake at 375 for 30 mins or until hot
  8. Sprinkle, if desired, with additional parmesan cheese
Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! Let's plan the next mother-daughter dine in soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done and done! I feel a Valentine's or St. Patty's themed celebration would be appropriate :)

      Delete
    2. I think we need another theme night for the recipe blog soon, Susan!!

      Delete