|Jennifer and me camping at PK in 2010|
My love for camping began in elementary school, when I was a member of both Camp Fire and Indian Princesses. Our troop and tribe would go on camp outs at Camp El Tesoro and Camp Carter with our moms and dads. I think my love for s'mores started on one of these many father-daughter or mom-and-me camping trips.
|Andy and me camping at PK in 2010|
In the words of Ham from the iconic 1993 movie, The Sandlot, "First you take the graham, you stick the chocolate on the graham. Then you roast the 'mallow. When the 'mallow's flaming... you stick it on the chocolate. Then cover with the other end. Then you scarf. Kind of messy, but good!" "Good" doesn't do s'mores justice. They're the perfect combination of gooey, crunchy, messy amazingness without which no camping trip is complete.
|Michael and me camping at PK in 2008|
The last few times I have been camping, it has been to the same spot out at Lake Possum Kingdom by our friend, Brian's, lakehouse. We load up the trucks with tents, sleeping bags, coolers, hot dogs, and of course, s'mores stuff, and head out to the lake for a night of star gazing, beer drinking, and cool weather cuddling fun. The timing for camping in Texas is a bit of an art. You can't go when it is too hot or you will be sweating in your sleep all night. You can't go when it is too cold or you will have to many layers on to function. The perfect camping weather is about 60-65 degrees without a cloud in the sky- neither of which is frequent in Texas.
|Chelsea and me camping at PK in 2009|
|Andy and me camping in 2010|
S'Mores Stuffed Cookies
|S'Mores Stuffed Cookie, photo props to my LPC-S, Phil|
- 1 tub Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie dough
- 1 package marshmallows
- 5 Hershey's milk chocolate bars
- 12 graham cracker pieces
- Prep a 9x13 pan by either coating it in non-stick cooking spray or with a layer of parchment paper
- Spread 1/2 of the tub of cookie dough in the bottom of the pan
- Layer 1 layer of graham crackers atop the dough
- Layer 1 layer of the Hershey's chocolate bars atop the graham crackers
- Cut the marshmallows in 1/2 to make one side flat. Layer a layer of marshmallows atop the chocolate bars.
- Place second half of the graham crackers in a layer atop the marshmallows
- Spread the second half of the cookie dough atop the graham crackers
- Bake at 350° for appr. 30 min
Keep on cooking'!