|Whitney & the Creels' hostesses|
Mattie, Sam, Kate, Whitney, Amy, Britnee, Keri, & Kristie
Not pictured: Frances
July 21, 2013: My best friend, Whitney, is due September 18th with a baby boy, Kolt. I joined up with a group of our girlfriends (Kristie, Keri, Sam, Frances, Britnee, Amy, and Mattie) to host a pool party to honor the parents-to-be yesterday.
|Gift & Snack tables|
|"Smooth as a baby's bottom buns"|
The shower turned out beautiful. The Pinsons’ home was perfect- they have a great living room that spills out onto a huge patio with a pool. Right past the pool, the guys had ample room to play washers while the girls ooh’ed & ahh’ed over Whitney’s belly and baby onesies.
|Whitney & me Hookin' & Giggin' 'em!|
I’ll admit, I got a lot of ideas for the shower from Pinterest, but it all came together perfectly. I have a pet peeve of people asking “What is this?” (who cares, just try it! Unless you have a food allergy. In the case, ask. But if you don’t- go on, be adventurous!) so I made signs that said what each food item was, and the signs were baby/boy/beach themed. We had “Smooth as a Baby’s Bottom Buns” and “Cheeseburgers in Paradise,” “Sailboat Salad,” “Ocean Water,” and “Weiners(!)”
|"I like mine with lettuce & tomatoes... Heinz 57"|
For snacks, we had goldfish, Swedish fish, “drift wood” (pretzel sticks), life savers, “pool noodles” (twizzlers), “kickboards” (Starbursts), and dips for the chips that said “Take a dip.” Kristie made the super cute banners, which ended up matching the theme perfectly.
Here’s the wreath I made for Kolt’s nursery. It’s by far my favorite wreath that I’ve ever made. It matches the colors in his nursery very well (if I do say so myself!), and I am ready for him to be here so we can meet the little nugget!
|"Thank you for swimming by! Take a treat!"|
Oh, and the Birthday Cake Rice Crispy treats? Judging by Whitney’s niece, Kaylee,’s picture below, they were as big of a hit as I’d hoped. They had tags on them that said “Thanks for swimming by! Love, Kolt.” In fact, they were such a hit that I’ve decided to make them for another shower that I’m helping through in November. Who knows, perhaps Kaylee’s chowing down will be the new face of Katherine in the Kitchen!
|Kaylee chowing down on a Birthday Cake Rice Crispy treat|
Birthday Cake Rice Crispy Treats
Modified from www.gimmesomeoven.com
|"Thanks for swimming by! Love, Kolt"|
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 (10 oz) bag mini-marshmallows
- 3/4 c funfetti cake mix (the dry cake mix, not prepared into batter)
- 6 c rice crispy cereal
- 1 container of sprinkles, color of your choice
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 sandwich bags
- 9x13 pan, coated in non-stick cooking spray
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick cooking spray
- Melt butter in bowl in microwave
- Add marshmallows- melt again in microwave
- Stir well with a spoon that has been coated in non-stick cooking spray
- Satire in the funfetti dry cake mix
- Add in cereal, coating cereal, in butter/marshmallow mix
- Sprinkle in 3/4 of the sprinkles, coating well
- Put the sandwich baggies on your hands, and coat them also in non-stick spray
- Use your bag-covered hands to scoop the bowl of marshmallow covered cereal into the pan
- Smooth out mix in the pan
- Add last 1/4 of sprinkles on top
- Allow to sit for 30 mins before cutting