Search The Cookbook

Monday, October 21, 2013

Rosemary Red Potatoes


6/30/12: The house behind my parents’ house where I grew up was the home to four of the most awesome girls I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. The Hulls- Elise, Mariel, Christina, and Caroline- were practically my little sisters growing up. In fact, they gave me a “Big Sister” James Avery charm for my high school graduation. Now they’re in college (or in Elise’s case, in MEDICAL SCHOOL- HOLY MOLY!!) and off being their fabulous beautiful selves. Elise is at UT Southwestern Medical School, Mariel and Christina are in Austin at UT, and Caroline is representin' at Arkansas.
I use my "Big Sister" charm as a Christmas ornament

Last year, the girls had me make a wreath for their mom, Lisa, for their “house divided.” Lisa is just as great as her girls (and yes, Brian, their dad, is a blast, too!). Lisa has opened an antique business called diGs.  Housed in the Montgomery Street Antique Mall, the website describes diGs as featuring “an eclectic mix of uncommon vintage artifacts for your home.” She is dealer #2311 if you’re ever there- check it out!
diGs
 One night, Lisa had a sidewalk sale in their driveway of some of her diGs merchandise. My mom and I walked around the bushes that divide our driveway and perused the goodies. Please note, MARIEL, that we chose NOT to use the “secret passage way” between the two houses where Miss Mariel cut the fence down so she could have easier access to play with our Beagle, Penny.  

Elise, Caroline, me, Christina, and Mariel
at my Open House/First Annual Holiday Party in 2008
On any note, my mom insisted on taking Lisa some rosemary in thanks for inviting us to the sale.  Rosemary is great for cooking- a little goes a long way- and it can be used to make almost anything taste just a little bit more fresh and airy. Below you’ll find a recipe for Rosemary Red Potatoes- the rosemary helps lighten the starchy, sometimes over-filling potatoes.

Christina, Caroline, Lisa, Elise, and Mariel
I ended up buying an antique candle/flower pot holder that sits on our doorstep. Every time I walk in the front door I think of you four girls- I can’t believe how much y’all have grown up! I know that’s totally corny, but come on, I use to change your diapers! I am so incredibly proud of the young women you have become. I am also very privileged to say that three out of the four of these girls are now my twice-sisters, as they pledged Delta Gamma at the University of Texas.  Hook ‘em Hogs- I love you four girls (and your parents, too!)
Elise, Mariel, and me at the Delta Gamma house
in Austin when Mariel pledged DG

Rosemary Red Potatoes
All Recipes
Servings: 4

Rosemary Red Potatoes
  • 1 3/4 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
  • 1 small onion, quartered
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F
  2. In a bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, oil, rosemary, garlic and garlic salt; toss to coat. 
  3. Transfer to a foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. 
  4. Bake, uncovered, at 425° F for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and browned.

Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment