|Cheesy Parmesan Chicken: The Current Face of Comfort Food for the Hlibers' Blews|
Before going into the oven (cheese goes on almost at the end)
Now defrosting. Everyone has their own ways of doing this daunting, lengthy task, but I'll tell you mine. First, I clean out one side of my sink, put the plug in the drain, and fill it with hot HOT (as hot as it will go) water. Plop in your frozen chicken breasts. Here, I add seasoning to the water. Whatever sounds good- if you're cooking something Italian, go with Italian seasonings (pesto, garlic, there is even one called "Italian Seasoning.") If you're grilling, go with a grilling blend, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, etc. Smell the herbs/spices and think about what you're going to make. Does what you're smelling from the ingredient smell like it belongs on your dinner table? If so, throw some in the sink with your chicken. Then I let the chicken defrost in the sink- it usually takes about an hour to be totally thawed out.
Cheesy Parmesan Chicken finished in the pan
The recipe I'm posting is what I call Cheesy Parmesan Chicken. I LOVE LOVE Italian food, and really love parmesan chicken but BEWARE the calorie count on this traditional dish when you order it out!!! Parmesan chicken is usually breaded and loaded up with fattening cheeses and oils- bad, bad plan. This one below is a healthier, super easy, version of the traditional dish. It was originally written with full fat ingredients, but don't worry- I made the healthy changes! If you do want to order parmesan chicken while you're out at a restaurant, tell your waiter that you want grilled (not breaded) chicken and to go light on the cheeses. You may even want to put the cheese on the side. As always, fill up on salad with light dressing or dressing on the side before your carb fest begins. I won't say skip the breadsticks, but do try to limit them to one. And marinara is a much healthier dip than oil or cheese.
Cheesy Parmesan Chicken
Kate Strickland with help from Lipton Secrets
Weight Watchers Points Plus Value: 7/serving
Cheesy Parmesan Chicken, final product!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Savory Herb with Garlic Soup Mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz.) -low-fat or part skim if you can find it
- 1 Tbsp. low fat grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Arrange chicken in 13 x 9-inch baking dish, then top with tomato.
- Whisk together Lipton Recipe Secrets Savory Herb with Garlic Soup Mix, water and olive oil in small bowl
- Pour whisked ingredients over chicken.
- Bake 20 minutes
- Top with cheeses and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Keep on cookin'!