Search The Cookbook

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Smashed Potatoes

If there were a potato fan club, I would, indubitably, be the president.  Growing up as the daughter of a medical expert, one would assume my mom had me eating all kinds of colorful vegetables... nope.  Give me a brown, plain, starch-filled potato.  And just because it is a starch, doesn't mean it isn't also a vegetable- an argument I have way too often.  When one doesn't eat vegetables (and as a child, I didn't eat any besides potatoes and corn), ya gotta count what ya can.  So I count potatoes as a veggie.  Baked potatoes are quick, easy and filling.  Mashed potatoes remind me of my Granny Poirot.  Red potatoes make me think of salad bars like Souper Salad.  You can buy potatoes in bulk super cheap, in four packs, or individually.  They are, without a doubt, the easiest food in the world.  I actually find myself getting jealous at work when our patients order baked potatoes.  My co-workers even tell the patients, "Let Miss Kate fix it up for you- she makes them really well!"  Sad? No way.  I like to think of it more as a talent.

Every year, my parents take off to Colorado for two weeks to go to the Ouray Ice Festival.  I'm not sure what part of shimmying up thousands of feet of frozen waterfalls my dad finds "fun," but to each his own.  I was housesitting for my parents when I got a text from my mom saying that there were two fillets from Omaha Steaks in the freezer, and I could cook them up if I'd like.  Yes, please! Omaha Steaks are a-mazing.  Instead of going with my usual baked potato side, I thought I'd try a new potato recipe... Smashed Potatoes.

The recipe called for rosemary, and, lucky me, I have three ginormous rosemary bushes outside of my bedroom window.  (Seriously, if you ever want some, just shoot me a text- I have more than I can ever use and would love to donate some to you and your next recipe!)

Smashed Potatoes
Kate Strickland
Servings: 4 (210 calories, 8 g fat, WeightWatchers Points Plus Value: 5)

  • 1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
  • 1 tbsp fat free chicken broth (substituted for 1 tbsp olive oil)
  • 2 tbsp grated parmesan (they make this in low fat!)
  • 2 lbs small potatoes (like Yukon Golds or red potatoes- red potatoes make a prettier product)
  • 2 gloves garlic, peeled
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  1. Place potatoes in a pot and fill with enough cold water to cover them
  2. Add a pinch of salt and bring water to a boil (*the salt makes the water boil more quickly)
  3. Cook the potatoes until tender all the way through (about 20 mins)
  4. Drain the potatoes
  5. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, use your palm to carefully smash the potatoes just enough to break the skin and flatten the potatoes
  6. Heat the chicken broth (or oil) in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat
  7. Add the potatoes in a single layer
  8. Sprinkle the rosemary on top
  9. Place the garlic cloves in the pan
  10. Cook until the potatoes are deeply browned and crispy on one side (7-10 mins)
  11. Flip potatoes and repeat
  12. Add in the cheese right at the end so it melts atop the potatoes
  13. Season with salt & pepper
Minced herbs just means chopped up into little pieces- here is my minced rosemary

Smashed Potatoes

Smashed Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment