Search The Cookbook

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Guacamole

If you've read my entry on my history of love for Mexican food, you'll know that guacamole has been a part of my life since I was a baby... literally... in my high chair.  I've tried guacamole all over Texas and Mexico, and it varies from restaurant to restaurant and recipe to recipe.  I've eaten guacamole on cheerios, chips, tortillas, and chicken.  I love avocado, and often eat avocado on my sandwiches, as well  for added flavor and a health benefits (think Turkey and Avocado from Great Outdoors... mmm!).


Julio's spicy chips go great with guac!
Whoa, back up, wait a minute.  Avocado and guacamole- healthy? You betcha.  At least it can be, in moderation.  (Actually everything can be healthy in moderation, but that'll be another entry).  A lot of restaurants make their avocado with sour cream, in which case, no, it isn't healthy for you.  But mash yourself a few avocados and mix in a couple of veggies, and you have yourself a healthy dip.  According to Health Benefits.com, there are ten reasons that you can indulge on avocados and not feel the teeniest bit bad about it.  Ready? Here they are.  Avocados have been associated with prevention/defense against prostate cancer, oral cancer, high cholesterol, and stroke.  They also promote good heart health, better nutrient absorption, and good eye health.  (Hey, maybe that's why my eyes are so green...)  Lastly, avocados are great sources for antioxidants, Vitamin E, and healthy fats.

Below is a recipe I tried over the Fourth of July at the lake.  I love it when guac has chunks of avocado in it, so I was sure to leave some in this batch.  My friends were raving about it and couldn't believe that I'd made it relatively low-fat.

Guacamole
Adapted from Bethenny Frankel's Mock-a-Mole, by Kate Strickland
Servings:  12 (3.5 cups) Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value: 3 (41 points in the whole bowl)
Guacamole

  • 4 avocados, peeled, pitted, and mashed (but leave chunks if you like them like me!)
  • 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 c tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 tbsp red onion, chopped
  • 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce (plus or minus, depending on how spicy you like it)
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
  2. Serve with tortilla chips (Julio's are my favorite, but they have limited availability- if you're in Texas, try HEB, Kroger, or Central Market)
*Fun fact: leaving the seeds in the avocados keeps the avocado from turning dark/brown.  After your guac is complete, plop the seeds back in the bowl to help keep the guac green if you're not serving it right away.

Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment