Search The Cookbook

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Chili-Lime Corn

"This is seriously the best corn I've ever had," was the first response I heard when I served up this Chili-Lime Corn this past weekend for our Cabana #3 Labor Day Weekend guests.  This comment was quickly followed by, "Oh my gosh, this really is good!" and "What did you do to this corn?!"  I was beaming!  Of course it is always fun to try a new recipe, but the enthusiastic and flattering responses to my corn this weekend were an added bonus.  I never knew a side dish could draw so much attention!
Macaroni Salad, hamburger, and Chili-Lime Corn
We started off the three day weekend with going to our friends, the Stephenses, house to watch the TCU Horned Frogs take on the Baylor Bears.  Our Frogs must have been a little too lax, thinking they could ride the coattails of their Rose Bowl success last year because they weren't able to pull off the W that we were all hoping for.  They definitely fought for a comeback, but they didn't quite beat those Bears.  Oh well, there's always next Saturday! The evening was fun, though.  Chris Stephens' mom, DeeDee, put together a taco buffet for the small group of guests, and we watched from the comfort of the Stephenses' new leather couch (on their new hardwood floors!)  It's been neat seeing Chris' house transform from brand-new to a bachelor pad to a married couple's home.
My dad, Andy, and me on our sailboat, Cracker Jack
Saturday morning, Andy and I headed out to meet my parents at our cabana at the lake.  Our friends Jennifer, Ashley and her fiancee Ryan, and Thomas all joined us.  Later, my mom's brother, Richard,'s family all stopped by for a bit, also.  That night, Andy cooked up burgers, and I was in charge of the corn.  My mom also made a refreshing Macaroni Salad (also a Weight Watchers recipe) for an additional side.  This corn was a HUGE hit.  Even Andy, who said he didn't think he would like it because he doesn't really like lime, was a big fan.  It's definitely on the redo list for next time we need a quick and easy healthy side.  Everyone except my parents, Andy, and I headed back into town Saturday night.  It was really nice to have a quiet, lazy evening to ourselves (that rarely happens on holiday weekends at the lake!)

My mom and dad watching the sunset
Sunday we woke up to my mom cooking Breakfast Burritos.  Sunday was Andy and my one year anniversary of dating.  September 4, 2010, was the first day that he told me he loved me, and it's the day when we decided to make our relationship official :) *Pause for sappy moment* What a year it has been! Read about our first date on May 4, 2010, here. From The Guadalupe River to Austin, Tulsa, New Orleans, New York City, Oklahoma City, Shawnee, Fredericksburg, Little Rock, and The Frio River- we have been quite the traveling couple! It's been a great year, and I can't wait for the many more to come!  We didn't celebrate our one year anniversary on Saturday because Andy was going back to Wichita Falls for his dad's fantasy football league draft.  I had a long conversation with my Aunt Rhonda about how neat I thought it was that Andy has such great family values.  I'm a lucky gal!  I spent the day with both my immediate and extended family, being lazy and getting some sun.  My parents and I watched the sunset with a glass of wine and tried to enjoy every minute possible of the cool front that arrived.  For dinner, my mom and dad and I went to a restaurant called El Paseo out on Jacksboro Highway.  Their 27th wedding anniversary was September 1, so it was our own little mini-celebration.

Andy and me at the lake for Labor Day Weekend 2011

Monday, more of our friends returned for a little Monday Funday action.  Andy and I were surprised to look up and see my parents idling around on our sailboat, Cracker Jack, so we hopped in the water and swam on out.  Andy learned a thing or two about sailboats, and we puttered around for a bit until Michael drove up.  Andy, me, Michael, Jennifer, and Annalise spent the day laying out in the beautiful 85 degree weather on the (still leaking air from earlier summer holes) raft.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day!  I seasoned some chicken thighs and we had those and baked beans for dinner.  I think what I liked best about this Labor Day weekend was how anti-laborious it was.  It was probably the most laid-back, chillax weekend we have had at the lake in a while.  I hate to see the lake days coming to an end, but if they have to, this was the perfect way to send them off.

Chili-Lime Corn
Weight Watchers
Servings: 4, Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value: 3 (or you can break the ears into halves)



Chili-Lime Corn

  • 4 med corn on the cob, husked
  • 2 sprays cooking oil spray
  • 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp table salt
  1. Preheat grill to medium
  2. Lightly coat corn with cooking oil spray
  3. In a cup, stir together lime juice and zest, chili powder and salt
  4. Brush mixture over corn
  5. Grill corn until tender, or lightly charred (ab 10 mins), turning corn 2-3 times within the 10 mins
Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment