Search The Cookbook

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Italian Style Chicken and Potatoes

Jessica, Annalise, Jennifer, me, Elise, and Natalie after Ashley & Ryan McCollum's Wedding


I found this recipe on the Weight Watchers website, and I have been wanting to try it ever since.  With my and Andy's conflicting and busy schedules, we did not have much time for homemade meals last week.  I continuously pushed back and pushed back the night I was going to make Italian Style Chicken and Potatoes, and finally was able to make it this past week.

Andy and me at Ashley & Ryan's wedding

This weekend was just about as busy as our week last week.  Our friends, Ryan McCollum and Ashley Meyka, got married on Saturday.  Ashley is my little sis from Delta Gamma, Jennifer,'s cousin.  Jennifer invited Ashley and Ashley's (at the time- boyfriend, now husband), Ryan, to play on their kickball team last year.  Andy and I got to know them pretty well, and we have seen them going from dating to being engaged, and now they are married! I had an 11:00am hair appointment to have my hair cut and colored- both of which were long-since past due.  After that, I went with my mom to get manicures and pedicures.  My mom had given me a Groupon for Valentine's Day to a new salon here in Fort Worth.  When I called to make our appointments, the receptionist told me that they had sold over 1,500 Groupons and were booked every Saturday until June 30th! So we nixed that idea, and instead went to E-Nails by my house. 
Jennifer and me at Ryan & Ashley's wedding

A small group of my friends decided to meet up at my parents' house because they live pretty close to the church where Ryan and Ashley's wedding was.  We met over there, had a glass of wine, and then carpooled to St. Paul Lutheran Church.  Ashley looked stunning, and even though Ryan had seen her when they took pictures before the wedding, I definitely saw his "Wow, she looks beautiful," reaction when the church doors swung open. 
Andy and me at Ryan & Ashley's reception at Chateau Forrest Park

After the wedding, we drove down the street to The Chateau at Forrest Park where the reception took place.  There was a nice cheese and cracker starter, then a buffet, and of course the cakes.  Ryan's cake was chocolate with chocolate covered strawberries, and Ashley's cake had a layer of white cake but also a layer of funfetti cake! Very fun, and very Ashley.  The bride's cake even had an anchor and the Delta Gamma greek letters on it- nice touch, sis.
Holly and me grabbing late night drinks at The Usual 

We took crazy photobooth pictures and danced the night away, and sent the couple off with sparklers at 11:00.  For a night cap, Andy and I headed to The Usual with Michael and his date where we met up with my co-worker, Holly, and her husband, Jason.  Thank you, Ryan and Ashley, for including us in your big day! I was honored to be a part of the celebration, and congratulations on your new marriage.  I hope they're having fun in the Dominican Republic- they sure deserve a break after both wedding planning and remodeling a house for the past few months!

Italian-Style Chicken and Potatoes
Weight Watchers
Servings: 4, Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value: 7

  • 2 sprays cooking spray
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 in. pieces
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 large sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 lb uncooked Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 3/4-1 in pieces
  • 1/2 c dry red wine
  • 1 1/2 c marinara sauce (store bought, from the jar)
  • 1/2 c water
  1. Coat a nonstick pan with cooking oil and heat over medium-high heat
  2. Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper
  3. Add chicken to skillet; saute until golden brown, and almost cooked through (4-6 mins)
  4. Move from skillet to a plate
  5. Off heat, coat pan with cooking oil again
  6. Add peppers & potatoes; saute until veggies are lightly browned (4-6 mins)
  7. Add wine; simmer for 1 min
  8. Add marinara & water to skillet; increase heat to high & bring to a boil
  9. Reduce heat to low; cover & simmer until potatoes are almost tender (about 15 mins)
  10. Stir in chicken and juices
  11. Cover & cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through (about 7 mins)
  12. Add salt & pepper to taste, if desired.
Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment