Search The Cookbook

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob

They are the words that every child dreads- "You're going to need braces."  Cue the appointments. The NEVER ending, early morning, before school, after school, often lengthy appointments with the orthodontist.  Then there are the spacers that make your mouth feel like it is stuck in a vice with shooting pain up through your earlobes.  Then they poke and prod and pull and glue until your mouth looks like a grill on a Chevy truck.  Then there's the repeated appointments for tightening wires and changing out the rubber bands.  And, of course let's not forget, the absolute necessity of changing your rubber bands to match whatever holiday is approaching.

Okay, so I never had holiday colored rubber bands on my braces.  In fact, I only had silver bands because I tried so desperately to hide the fact that I had braces.  I was a late braces-getter, not getting them until freshman year of high school.  Luckily, I only had to wear them for a year and a half, but it seemed like I would never be metal-free again.  For a solid year and a half, I refused to smile showing my teeth.  Every picture of me at ages 14 and 15 is crazy awkward and close-mouthed.  I also thought blonde highlights and Sun-In were good decisions during all of this, so those really added a little something special to my looks, too.  Hey, every kid has her awkward years- don't judge.

When I got my braces on, Dr. Sorokolit gave me an extensive list of things I wasn't supposed to eat.  Hard foods, sticky foods, foods high in sugar, foods high in acidity... more specifically? Ice, nuts, popcorn, beef jerky, taffy, caramel, and corn on the cob.  Being a huge Chili's fan when I was in high school, that last one hit me hard.  The corn on the cob was essential to the Chicken Crispers plate- what was a gal to do?!  "No corn on the cob?! That was one of the two vegetables I eat- don't cut me down to just potatoes!"  I could eat corn, I just had to cut it off of the cob- no biting into the juicy, crunchy, buttered deliciousness.   Side note: corn ON the cob should probably never eat on a first date... seriously, is there a messier food in existence?

Harvest Rice, Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob, and Mahi Mahi

Andy and I usually grill corn in the summer, like with my Chili Lime Corn recipe, found here.  This winter, however, it was a frigid 30 degrees, and I, being a wuss, was not about to go stand over the grill just to eat some corn on the cob.  I found a recipe for corn on the cob in the oven, and it turned out to be just a great as from the grill!  Thank goodness, I no longer have to cut my corn off of the cob before I eat it.  Although those braces were a pain at the time, I do have a bright and shining STRAIGHT smile to show off now.  So, I suppose I'll admit it... in hindsight, a year and a half of lame corn off of the cob was well-worth it.  But you still don't get any pictures with this post of brace-face Kate.


Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob
Servings: 2; Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value: 2


Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob

  • 2 ears of corn
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Peel back husk from the corn cob, leaving half of the husk attached
  3. Wash corn cob
  4. Fold the half of the attached husk back under the cob (as shown above)
  5. Bake corn for 30 mins
Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine


No comments:

Post a Comment