Search The Cookbook

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Firecracker Salmon

My mom and me at my 4th Annual Holiday Cocktail Party, December 2011
Andy and I spent the entirety of last Mother's Day at the lake with my mom (read about Mother's Day 2011, Andy and my's first date, and Strawberry Shortcake here).  Since we had spent last year's with my mom, we decide to try to get up to Wichita Falls to spend some time with Andy's mom.  We ate lunch at Pelican's with both of Andy's parents, his sister, Carly, Carly's husband, Slate, and their two year old son, Greyson.

Carly & Mrs. Jennings serving Greyson his 2nd Birthday cake
The highlight of our meal was a slight confusion with the manager- see, when the manager came around to our table to wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day.  She gave both Carly and Andy's mom a card with a gift certificate inside, and then she awkwardly looked at me.  Hesitantly, she looked from Carly to Mrs. Jennings to me- back to Mrs. Jennings, back to Carly... and then quickly said, "Happy Mother's Day to you, too," handed me a gift card and scuffled off.  I simply said, "Thanks." Hey, I'll claim little Grey if it means I get free food out of it!

Andy and Mrs. Jennings at the Jimmy Buffett Concert in June of 2011

After lunch, Andy and I picked up a Midwestern State University diploma frame to match both my TCU and UT frames in our future sports room (ok, yes, it's a "man-cave").  After lunch, we laid around Andy's parents' house for a bit before heading to the lake to see my mom.



I finally finished the last wall in the sports room-
Andy's & my diplomas and licenses are all framed!

My mom had made me a deal that if she bought the groceries for dinner, Andy and I would have to cook. Fair enough.  My mom loves salmon, so I thought I'd try a new salmon recipe from one of my iPhone apps.  I'm pretty sure Firecracker Salmon is my new favorite salmon dish- it was spicy and fresh, and absolutely mouth-watering with just enough zip and zap.  For sides, we had Garlic Lime Asparagus and Grilled Corn- how healthy we all were!  We ate dinner on the front porch of our little cabana while we watched the sunset, thinking of our Granny Coleman and Granny Poirot, and being thankful we have such amazing moms!






Firecracker Salmon
All Recipes
Servings: 2
Grilled Corn, Garlic Lime Asparagus, and Firecracker Salmon
  • 4 (4 ounce) fillets salmon
  • 1/4 cup peanut oil
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Garlic Lime Asparagus and Firecracker Salmon


  1. Place salmon filets in a medium glass dish. 
  2. In a separate medium bowl, combine the peanut oil, soy sauce, vinegar, green onions, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, sesame oil and salt. 
  3. Whisk together well, and pour over the fish. 
  4. Cover and marinate the fish in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.
  5. Prepare an outdoor grill with coals about 5 inches from the grate (or on medium heat), and lightly oil the grate.
  6. Grill the fillets for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, measured at the thickest part, or until fish just flakes with a fork. Turn over halfway through cooking.
Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment