Search The Cookbook

Thursday, August 23, 2012

OMG Chicken

Me, Keri, Kate, Chaney, and Sam- 4 of my 21 Year Old friends
at lunch at Uncle Julio's
Do you ever have one of those weeks where it seems like everything that happens is too good to be true, and you find yourself asking, "Is this real life?"  My 2012 birthday week was one of those weeks.  All of my oldest girl friends, my "21 Year Girls" as I call them, happen to be in town from Houston, Austin, Colorado, California, and La Vernia.  All of my best friends had RSVP'ed "yes" to my birthday weekend at the lake.  I got to see my best college friend the weekend before because it was her bachelorette party.  It was, indubitably, the best week ever.  And yes, I mean ever.  I got to see every single one of my favorite people in the world that week, and it was my birthday, too!

Keri, me, Sam, and Kate
swimming at Sam's parents' house, high school style!

So, continuing with the perfection that was birthday week, I add in now quick and easy meals.  Part of the beauty of dishes that marinate overnight is that you have more free time the day on which you're planning to serve.  This is especially helpful for weeks like birthday week when all I wanted to do was socialize and have fun.  For example- OMG Chicken.  I found this recipe on Pinterest, only to discover that it is really from Hellmann's Mayonnaise.  Seeing as mayonnaise is just fat in a jar, I decided to figure out a way to healthify the recipe.

Whitney, me, Sam, Frances, Kate, and Keri
5 of my 21 Year Old Friends
at the lake for my birthday weekend
 I replaced the mayo with fat-free plain Greek yogurt, and I replaced the fatty Parmesan cheese with reduced-fat parmesan.  Plopped it in the pan, covered it, and dinner was rarin' to go for the next night.  All that was left to do was turn on the oven and bake.
Andy and me watching the sunset at the lake on my birthday weekend

Seeing that I had some free time, and this is my birthday week, I decided to take Ulta up on their offer for a free birthday brow wax.  (Yeah, PS, Ulta will give anyone a free eyebrow wax on their birthday- fun fact!)  I kept looking down at my toes, thinking of my chipping nail polish and how heinous that was going to be at my lake birthday party this weekend when my phone rang.  It was my mom, and she was wondering when we had appointments for our nails because she really needed a manicure before my godsisters' debutante party on Friday.  Great minds think alike.  "Well," I said, "I was just noticing how much my toesies need some TLC- wanna meet me up by Tom Thumb and get a birthday pedicure?"  As I've mentioned before, my dad's birthday is June 9, mine is June 10, and my mom's is June 11, so birthday week has always been a family tradition.
Whitney and me with Fernando, a birthday cake topping tradition
at the lake
I offered to pay for her manicure, and she offered to pay for my pedicure.  We had a little glass of wine and chatted it up, while she oo'ed and ahh'ed at her first shellack manicure.  "You mean to tell me that this will last more than one day?!"  She was amazed.  Truth be told, it's the only kind of polish that ever lasts on me, too.  Afterwards, we strolled on over to Charming Charlie where I found a $30 dress marked down to $19.  Even better, at the cash register? It rang up as only $10!  Happy birthday to me!  The best part of our afternoon girlie time was that I wasn't stressed out about getting home to make dinner.  I walked in the door, preheated the oven, and the OMG Chicken was on it's way.  I made Garlic Lime Asparagus, too, but that takes very little work, and was easy-peasy.  Thank you for both my pedicure, and a fun girls' day for birthday week, momma!  I love you more!

Andy and me at Bonnell's for my birthday dinner
 After our mother-daughter nail time, Birthday Week was officially rolling.  Andy and I had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Bonnell's, where we indulged in Elk Mini Tacos, Texas Shrimp and Grits, Pepper-Crusted Buffalo, and kangaroo.  Then came birthday weekend, which was kicked off with lunch at Uncle Julio's with 4 of my oldest girlfriends.  After that, we all went to our friend, Samantha's, house, to go swimming.  Later that night, we headed out to the lake for a weekend full of birthday fun in the sun.


OMG Chicken
Hellmann's Mayonnaise, altered & healthified by Kate Strickland
Servings: 4; Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value: 7

OMG Chicken, Texas Toast Light, and Garlic Lime Asparagus

  • 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 4 teaspoons Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs (or, place 1/2 c croutons in a ziplock bag. Add 1 tsp Italian Seasoning. Roll over bag with a rolling pin until finely crushed)
  1. Place yogurt and cheese in a sall bowl and mix.
  2. Lay chicken breasts on baking sheet (I line my baking sheet with parchment paper to make clean up easy)
  3. Rub yogurt mixture evenly all over each chicken breast.
  4. Marinate, covered, overnight for best results, but at least 2 hrs.
  5. Evenly sprinkle bread crumbs atop each.
  6. Bake for 25 min at 425.


Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment