Search The Cookbook

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Pollo & Patate (Chicken & Potatoes, Italian Style)

Andy and me at the Roadhouse, Rodeo 2013

On Saturday, January 26th, Andy, me, our friends, Paige & Kyle, and their friend Kenny adventured out to the rodeo grounds for the day.  We rode a few rides, checked out the chickens and goats, and walked around the exhibit halls.  The exhibit halls are, afterall, my favorite part of the rodeo.  After rodeo-ing all day, Andy and I met our friends Jason & Holly for dinner at Fireside Pies

Andy and me at Bulls Night Out 2013
Over the course of dinner, my voice started getting more and more hoarse, and I just figured it was from walking around in the cold all day, surrounded by dust and hay.  I woke up on Sunday morning, voice still hoarse, but with the most intense sinus headache I've ever had.  Keep in mind, I've had sinus surgery, so I know sinus pain, but this was like nothing else.  It felt like someone had cracked open my face, poured concrete in it, and was then jack-hammering the concrete out.  My body was aching and sore, and I was coughing and congested.

Brittney and me at the Backstage Club, Rodeo 2013
I googled my symptoms, and my symptoms kept coming up as symptoms of the flu.  No way... I got the flu shot. In October. We are required to get it at work.  But, nonetheless, I felt terrible.  I called in sick to work on Monday, and I hadn't called in sick in over a year and a half.  I went to the doctor who stuck a cotton swab up my nose and confirmed my Flu Type A. Ugh. 
Andy and me at the midway, Rodeo 2013
Prescription cough syrup and Tamiflu were called in to CVS, and I was sent to bed.  My doctor told me Type A Flu was "highly contagious" so I quickly texted Andy, and I suggested that he call his doctor for a Tamiflu prescription, too.  His doctor called him in the preventative little pack of pills, and he never did get sick.  I had been wanting to get into watching Downton Abbey, so Netflix and the humidifier were both turn on and into bed I went.  When I picked up my prescriptions, I grabbed a bottle of Pedialyte (which is my best friend when I am sick & dehydrated), and whipped out my neti pot. 
Katie & me at the Backstage Club, Rodeo 2013

Andy insisted on cooking dinner that night so my germy hands wouldn't get all over his food, but the next night I made this recipe.  I already have a recipe called Italian Chicken & Potatoes, so I wanted to come up with a clever twist to differentiate.  According to google, "chicken & potatoes" translates to "pollo & patate" in Italian, so that's where the name comes from.  I tried to use ingredients that I already had, and I found this recipe on Crock a Doodle Do, a cute blog with a lot of crockpot recipes.  Hopefully when you make it, you'll be flu-free, but it is a great dish if you're craving comfort food.

Me, Candice, Brittney, Jenny, and Kirsten at the Roadhouse for Josh Weathers and Brittney's birthday

Pollo & Patate
By Crock a Doodle Do
Servings: 4; Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value: 11


  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 16 oz bottle non-fat Italian salad dressing
  • 1/2 c reduced fat parmesan cheese
  • Italian seasoning, to taste
  • 4-6 potatoes scrubbed, sliced thin
  • 1/2 lb mini carrots
  1. Squirt a small amount of Italian dressing at bottom of crock-pot.
  2. Place two chicken breasts in crock.
  3. Pour some of the Italian dressing on the chicken.
  4. Sprinkle half of cheese onto the chicken.
  5. Sprinkle Italian seasoning onto the chicken.
  6. Place next two chicken breasts into crock-pot, if possible not directly on top of the first breasts.
  7. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of chicken.
  8. Pour carrots on top
  9. Pour more of the Italian dressing on top of chicken and carrots.
  10. Sprinkle Italian seasoning onto the chicken and carrots.
  11. Place potatoes on top.
  12. Pour the remaining Italian dressing on the potatoes.Sprinkle Italian seasoning on the potatoes.Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment