Search The Cookbook

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Spicy Corn Dip

Chelsea and me at the TCU v. BYU Tailgate at Cowboys Stadium

I had 2010 season football tickets for the TCU Horned Frogs, but I did not use them a single time.  I was taking a class at TCU, and my current student ID could get me into the games for free, but I chose not to go.  "Why?" you ask?  Because I saw no sense in leaving our sweet tailgate set up, comfortable camping chairs, shade from our tent, and an ice cold cooler of beer to go stand in the middle of thousands of sweaty, stinky, sometimes drunk fans while baking in the hot Texas sun.  Some may say I'm not a true fan- I say I chose the better of the options- watching the game on Chris' tv at the tailgate spot.

Andy and me at the TCU v. BYU Tailgate at Cowboys Stadium

This year, the 2011 season, I did not have season tickets.  I did, however, chose to buy Andy and myself two tickets to the TCU v. BYU game at Arlington's Cowboys Stadium on October 28th.  I figured it would be an indoor game, with seats, with a roof to block the blazing sun, and with adult beverages (available at outrageous prices).  No sweaty, stinky fans to crowd me- it'd be great.  Great, however, until the Rangers decided to get to game six of the World Series and miss being World Series Champions by one strike not only once, but twice.  Luckily, they had played much better in game five when I went, but game six- not so much.  Losing game six advanced the series into a seven game series- Game Seven being on Friday, October 28th.  At the exact same time as the TCU v. BYU game.
Jennifer and me at the TCU v. BYU Tailgate at Cowboys Stadium
Since Andy had so generously taken me to both an ALCS Playoff Game and a World Series game, I thought that the only way to repay him would be to offer to give up our TCU v. BYU tickets.  We figured we would go to the game, see if we could sell our tickets to anyone at the tailgates, then watch the game at Chris' tailgate (again, the tv on the tailgate came in handy).  Well, we weren't the only ones who preferred to watch the Rangers over the Horned Frogs.  When we arrived at Jerry World, numerous people were trying to sell their tickets in an effort to watch the Rangers win their first ever World Series Championship.  Oh, well, at least we would get to see the game- if only for the price of our tickets. 
Andy and me freezing and watching the Rangers in Game 7 of the World Series
Arlington, Texas, Cowboys Stadium
So we set up camp.  Food on our right, cooler on our left.  Although it had been a beautiful day when the sun was out- cold and windy, but very sunny- the temperature dropped dramatically when the sun set.  There we sat, wrapped up in blankets, gloves, and sweatshirts, cheering on the Rangers.  Unfortunately, the Rangers did not win that night (the Horned Frogs did), and we lost the World Series, but what fans we were, huh?  Not everyone would give up tickets to a football game to watch a baseball game outside and freeze to death.  But, what can I say, we were pretty dedicated this season!  I made spicy corn dip for the tailgate- an easy, low fat dip that I threw together, and it was great.  I served it with tortilla chips, and even had leftovers.

Spicy Corn Dip
Pinterest, healthified by Kate Strickland
Servings: 32 (about 5 cups total); Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value: 1/serving


I made this again for the TCU v. UNLV game yesterday, but I altered the recipe a bit.  I have made those changes to the recipe below in italics.  If you want a spicier dip with a bit more zip, go for the one in italics.  Note- the italicized recipe is for half of the amount, so it only yields about 2 cups.
  • 1 (16 oz) container fat-free sour cream  *8 oz fat-free sour cream
  • 2 c fat-free mayonnaise  *1 c fat-free mayonnaise
  • 2 (11 oz) cans Mexican-style corn, drained
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced  *5 jalapeno peppers, seeded & minced
  • 1 (7 oz) can diced green chilis
  • 1 1/4 c shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.  Serve with tortilla chips or veggies.

Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment