Subscribe by E-Mail

Search The Cookbook

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Roasted Butternut Squash





Andy hates going to the grocery store with me. He typically just gives me his list of usual items- G2, Special K Breakfast Bars, water, Nesquick chocolate milk, and eggs- and off I go. Sometimes he varies it up and wants the Planters Heart Healthy nut mix. What can I say, he's a creature of habit.  One Sunday I convinced him to go to the grocery store with me, which took much coercion. I drug his moping self to Kroger (I didn't even make him go to Wal-Mart, he should be thankful!) where we started in the fruit/veggie department.
I told him a few things to grab- bananas, Cutie clementines, and a butternut squash. Now, I'll admit, I asked him to get the squash because I didn't know what a butternut squash looked like. He didn't either, but he pointed the the squash section. I picked up "1 squash" as my recipe below called for, but it lacked the "large" component. Or was it large? I didn't know... I hadn't seen a picture of one, so I wasn't really sure which type of squash was which. We threw it in the basket and moved on to the drink aisle.
I should've had this image at the grocery store!
When we got home, I was confused as to why the squash in the recipe's picture was orange, and this squash was a greenish yellow. Finally, I Googled "butternut squash" and, come to find out, both Andy and I were way off with what we bought. Yes, we bought a squash, but it wasn't the huge gourd that I was going to need to make Roasted Butternut Squash. I went back to the store the next day and found a squash that looked much more like my Google image, and whipped up this side. For more info on the tons of different kinds of squashes, click here.

I don't remember ever having squash before- remember, I didn't each vegetables as a child, but this was awesomely delicious. It was light enough for a side, but hefty enough to be filling. It was nutty and fresh, and all kinds of yum. We made it again when I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken, and it really seems to be a side that pairs well with anything.

Roasted Butternut Squash
Servings: 4; Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value: 2


Butternut Squash
  1. Heat oven to 400
  2. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil spray
  3. Spread squash out on sheet
  4. Lightly coat squash in olive oil spray
  5. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper- tossing to coat
  6. Roast until tender, turning once during cooking
  7. Roast 30-40min
Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine  

2 comments:

  1. Black rice makes for a delicious easy vegan food recipes. Adding to your healthy recipes list is such a smart thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious, Sarah! Thanks so much for stopping by my cooking blog- I hope you enjoyed a recipe or two! I'll definitely try out black rice soon.

      Delete