Search The Cookbook

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Grilled Summer Asparagus

Longhorns at Hayley's wedding
June 16, 2013: My college roommate, Hayley, and her husband, Ben, got married this weekend in Frederickburg, Texas. Ben and Hayley live in Houston, but she is from Fort Worth and he is from Dallas. They decided on Fredericksburg as both mutual territory for the UT Longhorn and SMU Mustang and also because it is a really neat Texas destination. 

On Thursday, June 13, Andy and I were going to be busy wrapping up some work things and starting to pack for the weekend, so we ate dinner at home. I made Firecracker Grilled Salmon, but needed a side. I pulled out my "Texas Favorites by Jon Bonnell" cookbook and found a recipe he had for a "Summer Vegetable Salad" that included asparagus, so I prepped it per his recipe, and it definitely took place as my top favorite asparagus recipe. 
MaryEllen, me, Andy, and JK at Hayley & Ben's wedding
We wanted to make the most out of our adventure down to south Texas, so we broke up the trip into two parts. Friday, June 14, we had decided to drive to see my best friend and her husband, Whitney and Todd, at their home in La Vernia. On the way there, Andy got a nail in his truck tire. Of all places to pull over at, we happened to stop at a car repair shop. They had Andy's spare on, and we were back on the road in only 12 minutes!

Our flat tire, but it only took 12 minutes to change!

We met The Creels for dinner at La Fogata in San Antonio while it was pouring rain atop our covered patio. Then we followed them back to their beautiful home in La Vernia, about 30 minutes southeast of San Antonio. We spent the night catching up (although Whitney and I talk on the phone daily), checking out their son-to-be, Kolt's, nursery in progress, and watching Hangover 2.
Chisholm Trail Winery

Saturday, June 15, Whitney and Todd made us bacon and cheese biscuit sandwiches and then we were en route to Fredericksburg. After checking in to our hotel, The Sunday House, Andy and I headed out to our favorite winery, Chisholm Trail. We had gone there in February 2011, and it was the first winery that ever taught me how to properly taste wine. 
Rancho Ponte Winery
After Chisholm Trail, we went to Rancho Ponte for another wine tasting before we headed back to get ready for the Newell wedding. The Newells had arranged for a shuttle to take us to the winery where the wedding ceremony and reception were, Becker Vineyards. The weather was perfect, and Hayley was a beautiful bride! We spent the night dancing and sampling all of the wines Becker had to offer. I left the wedding the sweatiest hot mess I've ever been at a wedding. I was soaked but it was so fun dancing the night away with my favorite boy and Longhorn girls. 
Andy and me on the shuttle on the way to Becker Vineyards for the Newell Wedding
Ben & Hayley Newell!
Sunday morning, I slept late while Andy did a little sight seeing around town. When he got back, we had breakfast at my favorite little brunch spot in Fredericksburg, Mahaley's, with our friends, Katie, Leo, and Scott. After lunch and checking out of The Sunday House, we went to Luckenbach, Texas, (with Waylan and Willie and the boys). It's been a super fun but tiring weekend and we still have two hours left on our drive back to Funkytown- actually, I think it may be a good time for a nap.

Andy and me in Luckenbach, Texas

Grilled Summer Asparagus
By Jon Bonnell
Serving: 2; Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value: 1

  • 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed & washed
  • Pepper, as desired
  • Salt, as desired
  • Garlic powder, as desired
  • Olive oil

Grilled Summer Asparagus and Firecracker Salmon
  1. Drizzle asparagus with olive oil
  2. Sprinkle with pepper, salt, and garlic powder
  3. Grill 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally


Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment