Search The Cookbook

Monday, May 19, 2014

Island Grilled Chicken


Maui Sunset #5 at The Four Seasons Resort Wailea
7/07/13: To be quite honest, I have absolutely no idea what I was doing the day that I decided to make Island Grilled Chicken. I mean, really, that was about two months ago and, let’s be honest, sometimes recipes and ideas all start to blend together at some point.

Maui Sunset #1 at Kamaole Beach across the street (South Kihei Rd) from our hotel
At any rate, I figure I would take this opportunity to tell you about my most memorable island adventure: Maui, Hawaii. As I’ve mentioned before, my college roommate, Erin, asked me to be a bridesmaid in her Maui wedding. Of course, I was thrilled, and it ended up being the most beautiful place I have ever been. I asked myself repeatedly throughout the trip (YouTube’s After the Dentist style), “Is this real life?”

Maui Sunset #2, Happy Hour on the Bensons' lanai at mana Kai Maui Resort
Maui Sunset #2, Happy Hour on the Bensons' lanai at mana Kai Maui Resort
And the sunsets. Oh. My. Gosh. The sunsets. I have never- not at the lake, not at the river, not in Alaska, not on either coast, not in Florida or Mexico- never EVER seen a sunset like a Maui sunset. Holy. Moly.  They were absolutely breath-taking.
Maui Sunset #3 at Erin & Alex's Rehearsal Dinner at the
Plantation House Restaurant at the Plantation Golf Course
Maui Sunset #3 at Erin & Alex's Rehearsal Dinner at the
Plantation House Restaurant at the Plantation Golf Course
We watched the sunsets every night that we were there- from the beach, from a luau, from the Kapalua golf course, from Erin’s family’s hotel room- but the last sunset of the trip had to have been the most spectacular. Everyone had recommended that we try to get to the Four Seasons for happy hour to watch the sunset, and I would give anything to be able to do that just once a year for the rest of my life. We had fun, fruity drinks on the patio and watched the most blazingly beautiful sunset I have ever seen in my whole life. As you can see by the pictures, it completely changed color schemes and phases numerous times in the short time it was setting. We were in awe.

Maui Sunset #4 at Erin & Alex's wedding reception
The Grand Luau at Honua'ula

Maui Sunset #4 at Erin & Alex's wedding reception
The Grand Luau at Honua'ula
I always think of Granny when the sunsets. For more on that, read my story for Strawberry Shortcake. She loved sunsets, and I am sure that I inherited my love for the blazing orange beauty from her.  While it makes me sad to think of her never getting to see a Maui sunset, I had no doubt she was watching right alongside of Andy and me on the Four Seasons patio- and knowing Granny, she probably had her own fruity drink in hand, too.
Maui Sunset #5, Four Seasons Resort Wailea
Island Grilled Chicken
Servings: 2; WW PointsPlus Value: 5


Spaghetti Squash & Island Grilled Chicken

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1-2 lemons)
  • 1 ½ tbsp light soy sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 chicken breasts
Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients together
  2. Marinate chicken for at least 1 hour, up to overnight
  3. Grill chicken over medium heat, appr 15-25 mins depending on thickness
Keep on cookin'!
-Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment